USA: Goody's Family Clothing Reports Q2 Results
Goody's Family Clothing, Inc (Nasdaq/NM:GDYS) last week reported a net loss of $3.5m or ($0.11) per diluted share for the thirteen weeks ended July 29, 2000, compared with net earnings of $9.9m or $0.29 per diluted share for the thirteen weeks ended July 31, 1999. Sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2000 increased 8.9 per cent to $295.5m compared with $271.5m during the same period last year. Comparable store sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2000 decreased 1.8 per cent from the same period in the prior year. For the twenty-six weeks ended July 29, 2000, net earnings were $572,000 or $0.02 per diluted share compared with $17.3m or $0.51 per diluted share for the twenty-six weeks ended July 31, 1999. Sales for the first six months of fiscal 2000 increased 9.9 per cent to $573.8m compared with $522.2m during the same period last year. Comparable store sales for the first six months of fiscal 2000 decreased 1.6 per cent from the same period in the prior year. Robert M Goodfriend, chairman and chief executive officer, commented: "As we previously announced, second quarter results were negatively impacted as we reacted to declining comparable store sales by increasing promotional activities. As a result of these efforts, our gross profit declined and we recorded a loss for the quarter. However, we succeeded in ending the quarter with inventory levels below our original business plan." Fiscal year to date, the company opened 17 new stores, relocated two stores and closed two stores; and for the balance of the fiscal year expects to open approximately 13 additional new stores and relocate or remodel approximately 13 existing stores.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Start-ups chosen to re-think fashion industry
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts