US: Gordon & Ferguson adds high-end Alexander Julian license
Gordon & Ferguson has been licensed to manufacture and market tailored clothing and sportswear for men and women under Alexander Julian's luxe Private Reserve label beginning in spring 2008.
Under new ownership since March 2006, Gordon & Ferguson already held the license for Julian's Colours and American Modern labels for outerwear and sportswear, as well as outerwear under the Private Reserve brand.
Gary Lowy, president of sales for Gordon & Ferguson's men's division, said the new clothing and sportswear groups will debut at the company's offices in New York on 13 July.
"The bulk of the clothing will be sport coat-oriented, with a lot more cottons and linens than we do, for instance, in our upscale Nick Hilton collection," he said.
Nick Hilton's retail price points range from US$600 to $850, while prices for the Private Reserve range will start lower, at about $500, and go higher, to about $1000.
In addition to the new Julian group and Nick Hilton and Nick Hilton Princeton under Lowy's direction, the company markets sportswear and outerwear under brands including Rainforest, Field & Stream and Julian's Colours and American Modern labels.
Lowy said that Julian's proclivity for unconventional colour and fabric will provide a strong counterpoint for the more traditional designs in Nick Hilton's collection.
"The specialty stores we deal with unquestionably won't touch something they consider unwearable," he commented. "They're classically oriented, but Alex Julian's reputation and niche allow us to show a wider range than we have before. The rules are a bit looser."
Lowy reports to Atul Goyal, principal of Gordon & Ferguson, who bought the business with Jaggi Singh and Ateq Ahmad last March and moved it from its former base in Minneapolis, Minnesota, to New York.
The new owners also began to edit the company's extensive portfolio of licenses and to diversify its offerings outside of its previous reliance on outerwear.
By Arnold J Karr.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022