UK: Government and retailers to aid garment workers
The UK Government is to more than double its investment in emerging frontier economies, joining forces with leading retailers to improve conditions for garment factory and farm workers.
The partnerships between the Department for International Development (DFID) and companies including Marks & Spencer, Primark and John Lewis are part of a GBP1.8bn (US$3bn) package for 2015/16, designed to improve business conditions in Africa and South Asia, kickstart embryonic capital markets and drive more investment into frontier economies.
The DFID is partnering with 12 leading retailers to improve working conditions and job opportunities for more than 700,000 workers and smallholder farmers in Kenya, South Africa and Bangladesh.
Projects include a tie-up with Marks & Spencer to develop leadership and management skills for farm workers, and initiatives with Debenhams, Asda, Primark, River Island, John Lewis, C&A, M&Co, Next and Morrisons to improve management in Bangladesh garment factories.
“Economic development is, without question, the only way countries can leave behind enduring and chronic poverty for good,” said Justine Greening, UK International Development Secretary.
“I have restructured my department to focus on jobs and growth and can now commit to more than double the amount we will invest in this crucial area.
“Working with world-class businesses ensures frontier developing economies get the best support, advice and expertise they need to grow and Britain is well placed to benefit from this growth.”
Asda Stores Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offe...
More than 170 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people las...
Debenhams plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerin......
Canadean's "Debenhams plc : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report