UK: Great Universal Eyes Burberry Float - FT
Great Universal Stores, the UK retail group, is considering a partial flotation of Burberry, the luxury fashion retailer, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.The FT's website said GUS's board was understood to be examining a range of options for its Burberry subsidiary, including floating a 10-15 per cent stake.A partial flotation would put a clear value on Burberry, which analysts estimated could be as much as £1bn ($1.42bn). It could also flush out interested trade buyers, such as LVMH , the French luxury goods firm, which has been mooted as a possible bidder, the report said.The FT said GUS was expected to make up its mind over the next three to six months. If the board decided to float Burberry, it would be likely to take place in the second half of 2001.But the FT also said it was possible the board could decide to keep Burberry, which has been given a facelift over the past three years. Sales have picked up and are expected to reach more than £420m ($598m) this year, the FT said.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022