UK: Great Universal Eyes Burberry Float - FT
Great Universal Stores, the UK retail group, is considering a partial flotation of Burberry, the luxury fashion retailer, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.The FT's website said GUS's board was understood to be examining a range of options for its Burberry subsidiary, including floating a 10-15 per cent stake.A partial flotation would put a clear value on Burberry, which analysts estimated could be as much as £1bn ($1.42bn). It could also flush out interested trade buyers, such as LVMH , the French luxury goods firm, which has been mooted as a possible bidder, the report said.The FT said GUS was expected to make up its mind over the next three to six months. If the board decided to float Burberry, it would be likely to take place in the second half of 2001.But the FT also said it was possible the board could decide to keep Burberry, which has been given a facelift over the past three years. Sales have picked up and are expected to reach more than £420m ($598m) this year, the FT said.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack