UK: Great Universal Eyes Burberry Float - FT
Great Universal Stores, the UK retail group, is considering a partial flotation of Burberry, the luxury fashion retailer, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday.The FT's website said GUS's board was understood to be examining a range of options for its Burberry subsidiary, including floating a 10-15 per cent stake.A partial flotation would put a clear value on Burberry, which analysts estimated could be as much as £1bn ($1.42bn). It could also flush out interested trade buyers, such as LVMH , the French luxury goods firm, which has been mooted as a possible bidder, the report said.The FT said GUS was expected to make up its mind over the next three to six months. If the board decided to float Burberry, it would be likely to take place in the second half of 2001.But the FT also said it was possible the board could decide to keep Burberry, which has been given a facelift over the past three years. Sales have picked up and are expected to reach more than £420m ($598m) this year, the FT said.(C) Reuters Limited 2000.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020