DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: GrupoM makes CAD investment
GrupoM, the Dominican Republic-based manufacturer of woven and knit apparel, has invested in new pattern making, grading and marker making software to help improve the time and cost of production.
The TUKAcad and SMARTmark tools from Los Angeles-based Tukatech Inc have been installed as GrupoM expands its manufacturing base to neighbouring Haiti, requiring a CAD system that would service multiple factory locations and development teams.
"In today's tough business environment the need for right tools that will keep you ahead of the curve are very necessary," explains Joseph Blumberg, GrupoM's director sales and merchandising. "Competitiveness, cost efficiency, quick response and accurate product developments right the first time are key."
The system unifies processes within the development of a pattern, and links to the automatic marker system, which creates and stores markers for multiple cutting locations. A key feature of SMARTmark is fabric use optimisation, which is helping GrupoM reduce the amount of cotton fabric used.
GrupoM is the largest apparel manufacturer in the Dominican Republic and Haiti, employing over 10,000 workers, producing for all major branded and private label apparel retailers in the USA.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Walmart snaps up online fashion firm ModCloth
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective