UK: GUS Home Shopping Shows Six Per Cent Decline
Great Universal Stores (GUS), the catalogue retailer, blamed a sustained weakness in demand for clothing and increased promotional activity, such as markdowns, for the continuing poor performance of its UK Home Shopping business.UK Home Shopping year to date sales to 22 July declined by 6 per cent over the year to £1.684m, while trading profits plunged by £85m to £21m.GUS' European Home Shopping business also did badly with trading profit falling by 15 per cent to £25.1m, reflecting the drop in the euro. The company, whose catalogues include Kays, Choice and Great Universal, said that growth in the highly competitive UK discount retail sector and loss of customers due to greater credit card penetration among its traditional customer base were the key factors behind the depressed sales performance.The scene in Europe was similar to the UK. Wehkamp, GUS' Netherlands-based catalogue, faces increased competition from domestic and international retailers.It is countering this situation by moving rapidly into e-commerce.Sales at Burberrys however, were up on last year. The upmarket retailer, which is regarded as non-core, showed strong growth in its retail stores and in wholesale.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020