UK: GUS Home Shopping Shows Six Per Cent Decline
Great Universal Stores (GUS), the catalogue retailer, blamed a sustained weakness in demand for clothing and increased promotional activity, such as markdowns, for the continuing poor performance of its UK Home Shopping business.UK Home Shopping year to date sales to 22 July declined by 6 per cent over the year to £1.684m, while trading profits plunged by £85m to £21m.GUS' European Home Shopping business also did badly with trading profit falling by 15 per cent to £25.1m, reflecting the drop in the euro. The company, whose catalogues include Kays, Choice and Great Universal, said that growth in the highly competitive UK discount retail sector and loss of customers due to greater credit card penetration among its traditional customer base were the key factors behind the depressed sales performance.The scene in Europe was similar to the UK. Wehkamp, GUS' Netherlands-based catalogue, faces increased competition from domestic and international retailers.It is countering this situation by moving rapidly into e-commerce.Sales at Burberrys however, were up on last year. The upmarket retailer, which is regarded as non-core, showed strong growth in its retail stores and in wholesale.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective