UK: GUS Home Shopping Shows Six Per Cent Decline
Great Universal Stores (GUS), the catalogue retailer, blamed a sustained weakness in demand for clothing and increased promotional activity, such as markdowns, for the continuing poor performance of its UK Home Shopping business.UK Home Shopping year to date sales to 22 July declined by 6 per cent over the year to £1.684m, while trading profits plunged by £85m to £21m.GUS' European Home Shopping business also did badly with trading profit falling by 15 per cent to £25.1m, reflecting the drop in the euro. The company, whose catalogues include Kays, Choice and Great Universal, said that growth in the highly competitive UK discount retail sector and loss of customers due to greater credit card penetration among its traditional customer base were the key factors behind the depressed sales performance.The scene in Europe was similar to the UK. Wehkamp, GUS' Netherlands-based catalogue, faces increased competition from domestic and international retailers.It is countering this situation by moving rapidly into e-commerce.Sales at Burberrys however, were up on last year. The upmarket retailer, which is regarded as non-core, showed strong growth in its retail stores and in wholesale.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016