UK: GUS To Cut 600 Jobs
Great Universal Stores, the UK-based retail giant, is to cut 600 jobs with the closure of General Guarantee Finance (GGF).The news follows disappointing performance by its UK and European Home Shopping businesses. John Peace, chief executive of GUS, said that the closure of its car loans concern was made after the Group, whose catalogues include Kays, Choice and Great Universal, had decided to focus on its key businesses."The decision to wind down General Guarantee was not an easy one to make. However, after examining the alternatives closely, we have satisfied ourselves that this course of action is in the best interest of GUS," he added.The full wind-down of GGF, which employs around 600 people, will take place over three years.In the year to March 2000, the operating profit of GGF after funding costs was £24m. GUS expects that income earned by GGF during its wind-down will at least match the costs of closure.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack