UK: Haberdashery sales soar as downturn bites
Haberdashery sales at leading UK retailer John Lewis are soaring as recession-hit consumers choose to mend old clothes rather than buying new ones.
According to a John Lewis spokesperson, haberdashery sales are up 16% for the first half to date, and rose 10.8% in the second half of the last fiscal year.
In addition, sewing machine sales are up 23% on last year, following a 38% rise in the last full six-month period.
"Buttons and zips are +45.3% and +13.9% respectively on last year, this half to date - continuing the theme of updating and mending," the spokesperson told just-style.
Yarns, knitting books and accessories have also been selling "extremely well", the company added.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
A scathing report published yesterday (7 October) has criticised leading British brands and high street retailers for failing to pay a living wage to the workers making their garments - and says most ...
Based on feedback from 25 major high street brands, the latest 'Let's Clean Up Fashion' report from rights group Labour Behind the Label grades the firms between zero and five based on their progress ...
Department store retailer John Lewis is making a renewed push into the fashion market with a number of new initiatives designed to boost its online fashion sales as well as in its stores, where a focu...
Department store retailer John Lewis is taking measures to bring its e-commerce and high street operations closer together, just-style heard at a conference in London today (13 October)....
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar