NEW ZEALAND: Hallenstein Glasson H1 earnings tumble
- H1 earnings drop to US$6.4m
- Sales down 8%
Clothing retailer Hallenstein Glasson was hurt by heavy discounting in each of its divisions over the key summer season, leading it to a drop in first-half earnings and sales.
CEO Graeme Popplewell said the results were in line with guidance provided earlier this year. Total comprehensive income for the six months ended 1 February dropped to NZ$6.4m (US$5.5m) from NZ$10.3m a year earlier.
Group sales were down 8% to NZ$106.4$m versus revenues of NZ$115.7m in the year ago period.
Popplewell said that while the early winter figures were only a modest improvement, they have reversed the trend seen during the first half of the year.
"We operate in a highly competitive environment which has, of recent times, been increasingly characterised by discounting and sale activity. However, for differing reasons, each chain in the group failed to execute the summer season to potential," he said.
"There is still considerable work to do to ensure the business recovers earnings to historic levels but we are encouraged by results over the past few weeks. The key winter trading months of May and June will be critical to achieving our targeted earnings for the winter season."
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details