US: Hanesbrands FY profit leaps after Maidenform buy
- FY net profit up 101% to US$330.5m
- Q4 net profit down 60% to $32.3m on charges
- FY net sales up 2% to $4.63bn
The US company’s fourth quarter profit was impacted by $80m of charges associated with the acquisition, but sales for the three months to 28 December were up 12%, with Maidenform supplying 9% of that growth.
Hanesbrands said lower cotton costs and the benefits of its Innovate-to-Elevate programme had improved its profitability.
As a result, the company increased its guidance for fiscal 2014, predicting net sales of close to $5.1bn and adjusted earnings per diluted share of $4.60-4.80.
Describing the performance as “outstanding”, Hanesbrands chairman and CEO Rich Noll said: “We are raising our 2014 earnings guidance because we are increasingly confident that the momentum of our Innovate-to-Elevate strategy will deliver even better results.
“The combination of our brand power, low-cost supply chain and innovation platforms is generating value and growth opportunities.”
Hanesbrands’ Innerwear segment posted sales up 20% for the quarter and 5% for the year, boosted by a “significant” contribution from Maidenform.
Activewear – previously known as Outerwear – recorded sales up 1% in the fourth quarter and full-year, but international operating profits were impacted by currency, rising 1% in the quarter but flat for the year.
Hanesbrands said its direct-to-consumer sales rose 14% in the fourth quarter, and 2% in the full year.
Hanesbrands will continue to focus on its long-held strategy of providing high-volume basics to a majority of US households. It generally maintains core styles year-to-year, with minor adjustments, an...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
The most-read stories on just-style this week include M&S and the publication of its updated 2020 sustainability report, Hanesbrands' deal to acquire European lingerie leader DBApparel, and a warehous...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017...
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Mango continues on global growth trajectory
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre