US: Hanesbrands hails debt cut as Q4 profit soars
- Q4 net profit nearly doubles to US$80.4m
- Net sales up 5% to $1.15bn
- CEO highlights “end of era” of high debt leverage
Apparel company Hanesbrands ended fiscal 2012 with a near doubling in net profit following a reduction in debt and its exit from under-performing businesses.
A 5% fourth quarter sales increase helped the US-based sock, T-shirt and underwear maker to post full-year revenues of $4.53bn, up 2%, but full-year net profit fell 38% to $164.7m.
Innerwear was the biggest contributor to the full-year results, growing operating profit by 18% and boosting sales by 3% (and 7% in the fourth quarter).
Outerwear revenues were up 6% in the quarter and 2% for the year, but international sales fell 1% on the year, hit by performance issues and exchange rates.
“We had a very successful year under difficult circumstances,” said company CFO Richard Moss.
“We managed through a $160m cotton inflation bubble with a successful pricing strategy and came out stronger, more innovative and more profitable.”
Chairman and CEO Richard Noll highlighted financial measures taken during the year, saying: “By reducing bond debt by $750m over the past 13 months, we have ended our era of high debt leverage, and the momentum of strong results in the back half of 2012 positions us well for continued profit growth in 2013.”
Hanesbrands is forecasting net sales of $4.6bn in fiscal 2013, operating profit of $500-550m and earnings per share of $3.25-3.40.
Basic apparel manufacturer Hanesbrands has seen its second-quarter net profit soar thanks to substantially lower cotton costs and its innovate-to-elevate initiatives....
T-shirt and underwear manufacturer Hanesbrands is to acquire rival intimate apparel maker Maidenform Brands for US$575m, as it looks to drive growth and create increased scale to serve retailers....
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- UK reshoring hub hit by sweatshop claims
- New fibre and fabric innovations for outdoor wear
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who's winning in UK apparel shopping switch?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- US West Coast port contract reached
- 30% of Adidas cotton from sustainable sources
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- Benetton to embark on living wage roadmap
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide