US: Hanesbrands hails debt cut as Q4 profit soars
- Q4 net profit nearly doubles to US$80.4m
- Net sales up 5% to $1.15bn
- CEO highlights “end of era” of high debt leverage
Apparel company Hanesbrands ended fiscal 2012 with a near doubling in net profit following a reduction in debt and its exit from under-performing businesses.
A 5% fourth quarter sales increase helped the US-based sock, T-shirt and underwear maker to post full-year revenues of $4.53bn, up 2%, but full-year net profit fell 38% to $164.7m.
Innerwear was the biggest contributor to the full-year results, growing operating profit by 18% and boosting sales by 3% (and 7% in the fourth quarter).
Outerwear revenues were up 6% in the quarter and 2% for the year, but international sales fell 1% on the year, hit by performance issues and exchange rates.
“We had a very successful year under difficult circumstances,” said company CFO Richard Moss.
“We managed through a $160m cotton inflation bubble with a successful pricing strategy and came out stronger, more innovative and more profitable.”
Chairman and CEO Richard Noll highlighted financial measures taken during the year, saying: “By reducing bond debt by $750m over the past 13 months, we have ended our era of high debt leverage, and the momentum of strong results in the back half of 2012 positions us well for continued profit growth in 2013.”
Hanesbrands is forecasting net sales of $4.6bn in fiscal 2013, operating profit of $500-550m and earnings per share of $3.25-3.40.
Basic apparel manufacturer Hanesbrands has seen its second-quarter net profit soar thanks to substantially lower cotton costs and its innovate-to-elevate initiatives....
T-shirt and underwear manufacturer Hanesbrands is to acquire rival intimate apparel maker Maidenform Brands for US$575m, as it looks to drive growth and create increased scale to serve retailers....
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Apparel firms making progress on preferred fibres
- New Tencel fibre based on cotton waste fabrics
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape