US: Hanesbrands hails debt cut as Q4 profit soars
- Q4 net profit nearly doubles to US$80.4m
- Net sales up 5% to $1.15bn
- CEO highlights “end of era” of high debt leverage
Apparel company Hanesbrands ended fiscal 2012 with a near doubling in net profit following a reduction in debt and its exit from under-performing businesses.
A 5% fourth quarter sales increase helped the US-based sock, T-shirt and underwear maker to post full-year revenues of $4.53bn, up 2%, but full-year net profit fell 38% to $164.7m.
Innerwear was the biggest contributor to the full-year results, growing operating profit by 18% and boosting sales by 3% (and 7% in the fourth quarter).
Outerwear revenues were up 6% in the quarter and 2% for the year, but international sales fell 1% on the year, hit by performance issues and exchange rates.
“We had a very successful year under difficult circumstances,” said company CFO Richard Moss.
“We managed through a $160m cotton inflation bubble with a successful pricing strategy and came out stronger, more innovative and more profitable.”
Chairman and CEO Richard Noll highlighted financial measures taken during the year, saying: “By reducing bond debt by $750m over the past 13 months, we have ended our era of high debt leverage, and the momentum of strong results in the back half of 2012 positions us well for continued profit growth in 2013.”
Hanesbrands is forecasting net sales of $4.6bn in fiscal 2013, operating profit of $500-550m and earnings per share of $3.25-3.40.
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
Basic apparel manufacturer Hanesbrands has seen its second-quarter net profit soar thanks to substantially lower cotton costs and its innovate-to-elevate initiatives....
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017...
T-shirt and underwear manufacturer Hanesbrands is to acquire rival intimate apparel maker Maidenform Brands for US$575m, as it looks to drive growth and create increased scale to serve retailers....
Global Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Responsible apparel sourcing requires teamwork
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- H&M calls for annual wage reviews in Bangladesh
- New JC Penney CEO “credible but no solution”
- Cambodia garment workers campaign for higher wages
- UPDATE: A&F appoints Horowitz to head Hollister
- Child labour products still entering US from China
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam