US: Hanesbrands to expand Woolwine fabric plant
US clothing manufacturer Hanesbrands has revealed plans to double production at its Woolwine fabric plant in Virginia with a US$1.6m investment in new equipment.
Hanesbrands will install new knitting machines to make fabric for intimate apparel, with the equipment going into place from December.
"By adding the new machines, we will create additional flexibility to make other kinds of fabric at the plant and make it more competitive. The new equipment will allow total production to double at the facility," a spokesperson told just-style.
The apparel group will employ 50 people to operate the machines while retaining 215 jobs. Hiring will be done through Virginia Employment Commission job fairs and will start in December and is expected to be completed by the end of February.
"This investment and upgrade will ensure the continued vitality of [Hanesbrands'] textiles operation in Southern Virginia," said Governor McDonnell.
The news comes after Hanesbrands saw its third-quarter profit rise last month on the back of higher sales and improved margins.
Hanesbrands, which makes women's and men's underwear as well as casual wear and active wear, employs 53,300 staff around the world.
HanesBrands has swung to a first quarter profit as margins improved on lower cotton costs and a better product pricing environment. ...
Efforts to improve the sustainability of China's textile sector will come under the spotlight at an annual conference taking place in Beijing in June, with speakers including executives from China Nat...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis