US: Hanesbrands to expand Woolwine fabric plant
US clothing manufacturer Hanesbrands has revealed plans to double production at its Woolwine fabric plant in Virginia with a US$1.6m investment in new equipment.
Hanesbrands will install new knitting machines to make fabric for intimate apparel, with the equipment going into place from December.
"By adding the new machines, we will create additional flexibility to make other kinds of fabric at the plant and make it more competitive. The new equipment will allow total production to double at the facility," a spokesperson told just-style.
The apparel group will employ 50 people to operate the machines while retaining 215 jobs. Hiring will be done through Virginia Employment Commission job fairs and will start in December and is expected to be completed by the end of February.
"This investment and upgrade will ensure the continued vitality of [Hanesbrands'] textiles operation in Southern Virginia," said Governor McDonnell.
The news comes after Hanesbrands saw its third-quarter profit rise last month on the back of higher sales and improved margins.
Hanesbrands, which makes women's and men's underwear as well as casual wear and active wear, employs 53,300 staff around the world.
HanesBrands has swung to a first quarter profit as margins improved on lower cotton costs and a better product pricing environment. ...
Efforts to improve the sustainability of China's textile sector will come under the spotlight at an annual conference taking place in Beijing in June, with speakers including executives from China Nat...
- Supply chain takeaways from Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Cotton supply chain transparency an ongoing issue
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Burlington Stores, Destination XL
- Zara USA faces US$5m deceptive pricing lawsuit
- EU clothing imports from China continue to plunge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory