US: Hanesbrands to expand Woolwine fabric plant
US clothing manufacturer Hanesbrands has revealed plans to double production at its Woolwine fabric plant in Virginia with a US$1.6m investment in new equipment.
Hanesbrands will install new knitting machines to make fabric for intimate apparel, with the equipment going into place from December.
"By adding the new machines, we will create additional flexibility to make other kinds of fabric at the plant and make it more competitive. The new equipment will allow total production to double at the facility," a spokesperson told just-style.
The apparel group will employ 50 people to operate the machines while retaining 215 jobs. Hiring will be done through Virginia Employment Commission job fairs and will start in December and is expected to be completed by the end of February.
"This investment and upgrade will ensure the continued vitality of [Hanesbrands'] textiles operation in Southern Virginia," said Governor McDonnell.
The news comes after Hanesbrands saw its third-quarter profit rise last month on the back of higher sales and improved margins.
Hanesbrands, which makes women's and men's underwear as well as casual wear and active wear, employs 53,300 staff around the world.
HanesBrands has swung to a first quarter profit as margins improved on lower cotton costs and a better product pricing environment. ...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
Efforts to improve the sustainability of China's textile sector will come under the spotlight at an annual conference taking place in Beijing in June, with speakers including executives from China Nat...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead