GERMANY: Hazardous chemicals found in outdoor clothing
Hazardous chemicals have been found in outdoor clothing
Tests carried out in Germany on jackets and gloves sold by outdoor clothing brands including The North Face, Jack Wolfskin, Patagonia and Adidas are said to have found the presence of chemicals that are hazardous to the environment and can pose long-term risks to human health.
The research by environmental campaign group Greenpeace for its report 'Chemistry For Any Weather - Part II', found that all but one of the 17 items tested contained perfluorinated and polyfluorinated chemicals (PFCs).
Some PFCs, like perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS), are known to be highly persistent in the environment and can act as hormone disruptors, having adverse impacts on the reproductive system and the immune system.
One pair of gloves sold by Swiss manufacturer Mammut was found to contain nine times the legal limit of hazardous PFOS.
And jackets from well-known brands had high contamination levels of other hazardous PFCs.
Previous investigations by Greenpeace International have revealed how the hazardous chemicals used in textile production processes enter water systems - both at the place of production as well as being released in the discharge of washing machines.
However, the findings of this new report show that these chemicals can also evaporate into the air, converting into acids that can easily leak back into groundwater and drinking water.
Greenpeace says the findings reinforce the need for big brands to urgently take steps to detox their products and supply chains.
A number of sportswear brands, including Adidas, Jack Wolfskin, Li Ning, Nike and Puma have joined Greenpeace's Detox campaign, which commits them to eliminate all hazardous chemicals from their supply chains by 2020.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
NIKE, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ......
Patagonia is a leading USA-based supplier of rugged technical apparel and accessories for a variety of outdoor pursuits, including mountain climbing, skiing, surfing and fishing. The company offers a ...
Nike’s retail sales in China decreased in 2013 for the first time since the company entered China, as a result of sluggish macroeconomic growth and shrinking consumption. The company is now suffering ...
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- Speed to market key to Adidas 2020 growth plan
- Rana Plaza fund call grows as anniversary nears
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Swedish textile water project to expand globally
- PVH “pleased” after swinging to Q4 profit
- Organic cotton assessment tool launches
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019