US: Hibbett Sports cuts FY earnings outlook
US retailer Hibbett Sports has cut its full-year outlook after weaker than expected traffic led to lower sales during the the second quarter.
The sporting goods company now expects full-year earnings per share to range from $2.63 to $2.73, with comparable store sales increasing in the low single-digit range. This compares to its earlier guidance of $2.78 to $2.98, and comparable store sales rising in the low single-digit range.
Preliminary results for the second quarter, meanwhile, show net sales are forecast to increase 4.2% to $194m from $186.2m a year ago. Comparable store sales are expected to edge up 0.1%.
Gross margin is forecast to slip slightly to 33.4% from 34.3% last year. The decline is primarily due to increased markdowns related to reducing slow selling and aged inventory.
Based on these trends, earnings per share are forecast to range from $0.30 to $0.32, down from $0.40 in the prior year period.
"A more cautious consumer led to weaker than anticipated traffic in the second quarter," said president and CEO Jeff Rosenthal. "Although we were disappointed with our overall comparable store sales, there was a slight improvement in July as we moved into the back-to-school season."
But, he added, the group anticipates a healthier back-to-school shopping season.
- TPP: now the real fight starts
- Why TPP implementation is far from a done deal
- Private label sourcing faces range of pressures
- Cambodia leads US apparel import growth in August
- Can Gap maintain its momentum minus Larsson?
- Update: Negotiators agree landmark TPP trade deal
- Nike debuts new fabric for adaptive breathability
- New Bangladesh labour rules draw union criticism
- H&M falling behind on Bangladesh factory safety?
- Vietnam releases new textile dye regulations
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020