ITALY: Higher costs, lower sales weigh on Benetton FY
Italian fashion firm Benetton Group SpA has blamed higher raw material costs and a slowdown in consumer spending in the Mediterranean area for a 28.4% drop in full-year profit.
The result confirms a profit warning issued last month, and sees net income for the year fall to EUR73m (US$95.4m) from EUR102m last time. Revenues fell 1% to EUR2.03bn from EUR2.05bn the year before.
The company said it had taken steps to limit the fall in sales and accelerate growth in nearly all countries outside Europe.
Looking to the year ahead, Benetton said it expects "very limited" growth in its main markets in southern Europe, but forecasts "good sales performance" in emerging and high growth countries.
It also sees a slowdown in raw material price inflation, especially for cotton, "with potential positive effects" from the second half of the year. But overall, net income may fall slightly in 2012, it believes.
Meanwhile, the Benetton family is proceeding with plans to take the Italian clothing company private. Its Edizione Srl investment firm already owns a 67.08% stake in Benetton, and last month said it will offer EUR4.6 (US$6) per share or a total of EUR276.6m, for the remaining shares.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change