ITALY: Higher costs, lower sales weigh on Benetton FY
Italian fashion firm Benetton Group SpA has blamed higher raw material costs and a slowdown in consumer spending in the Mediterranean area for a 28.4% drop in full-year profit.
The result confirms a profit warning issued last month, and sees net income for the year fall to EUR73m (US$95.4m) from EUR102m last time. Revenues fell 1% to EUR2.03bn from EUR2.05bn the year before.
The company said it had taken steps to limit the fall in sales and accelerate growth in nearly all countries outside Europe.
Looking to the year ahead, Benetton said it expects "very limited" growth in its main markets in southern Europe, but forecasts "good sales performance" in emerging and high growth countries.
It also sees a slowdown in raw material price inflation, especially for cotton, "with potential positive effects" from the second half of the year. But overall, net income may fall slightly in 2012, it believes.
Meanwhile, the Benetton family is proceeding with plans to take the Italian clothing company private. Its Edizione Srl investment firm already owns a 67.08% stake in Benetton, and last month said it will offer EUR4.6 (US$6) per share or a total of EUR276.6m, for the remaining shares.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)