CANADA: Higher margins boost Gildan Q4 earnings
Basic apparel manufacturer Gildan Activewear saw earnings rise nearly 25% in the company's fourth quarter, thanks to higher gross margins.
Net earnings for the three months to 30 September increased 24.5% to US$45.8m before restructuring charges, which reduced the figure to $40.9m.
The company said higher gross margins for activewear had caused the earnings growth, partially offset by lower activewear selling prices, higher raw material costs and higher selling, general and administrative and depreciation expenses.
Fourth quarter sales were up 8.4% to $254.9m, thanks to an 8.9% increase in sales volumes for activewear and a 15.7% increase in sales volumes of socks.
That lifted Gildan's full-year net earnings to $130m - or $157.3m before restructuring costs - compared to $106.8m in 2006. FY sales were up 24.7% to $964.4m.
The company reconfirmed its previous 2008 EPS guidance of $1.85, up 43.4% on fiscal 2007, but added a note of caution: "Although a selling price increase in the screenprint channel is currently being successfully implemented, the company believes that it is premature to increase its fiscal 2008 EPS guidance, partially due to inflationary pressures on energy, dye and chemicals costs and also due to the overall uncertainty at this stage of the economic and market outlook for 2008."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style this week. Click on each headline for the full story....
Profits at sock and underwear manufacturer Gildan Activewear nearly doubled to US$41.7m in the company's second quarter, but fell short of earlier guidance....
Gildan Activewear Inc has lowered its earnings projections after production shortfalls at its Dominican Republic textile factory mean it will be unable to keep up with demand for its T-shirts....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report