US: Higher sales and margins boost Nike Q3
- Q3 earnings up 3%
- Gross margin up at 44.5%
- Sales grow 13%
Nike said it delivered strong results in Q3
Higher revenues, margin expansion and a lower tax rate helped boost earnings for sporting goods giant Nike Inc in its third-quarter.
In the three months ended 28 February, net income edged up 3% to US$685m from $662m a year earlier thanks to a jump in revenue in Western Europe, gross margin expansion of 30 bsp to 44.5%, and a lower tax rate. This was partially offset by higher SG&A investments.
Gross margin benefited from higher average prices and continued growth in the higher margin direct to consumer business, and was partially offset by higher product input costs, unfavourable foreign exchange rates, and higher discounts.
Revenues were up 13% to $6.97bn from $6.19bn a year earlier. Sales for the Nike brand grew 14% to $6.6bn, while Converse sales were up 16% to $420m, primarily driven by a strong performance in the brand's largest direct distribution markets of the US, China and the UK.
"Our strong Q3 results demonstrate our relentless focus on delivering innovations that resonate with consumers," said CEO Mark Parker.
"Despite macroeconomic challenges, Nike delivers consistent results because we focus on the biggest opportunities for growth while we manage risk across our diverse global portfolio. This is how we continue to drive long-term value for our shareholders."
Italy is one of Nike Inc’s ten leading territories at global level in terms of turnover and it is also the country in which there is the highest density of Nike brand retail outlets. There are 50 Nike...
adidas AG overtook Nike Inc in 2013 as the leading sportswear brand in the UAE in terms of retail value sales. Thus, with increasing competition from adidas and other leading sports brands set to inte...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Nike Turkiye AS endorses various sports, such as the Nike Run Istanbul and Nike Turkey Made by Movement campaigns in 2013. Nike used Nike Run Istanbul to get a non-running nation thinking and talking ...
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- LVMH to sell Donna Karan to G-III for US$650m
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020