UK: H&M creates buzz for e-commerce launch
The much-anticipated launch of H&M's UK e-commerce store today (16 September) is expected by analysts to be worth the wait.
Research group Verdict expects the store to edge in front of the competition, thanks to recent promotional activity including a tie-up with influential brand Lanvin.
Charlotte Woods, analyst at Verdict said: "The collaboration with Lanvin has created a buzz around the brand which will only help build the excitement among consumers for the launch of the retailer’s first transactional site."
The Swedish retailer first announced its UK website in June. It follows dedicated international e-commerce launches by rivals Gap and Zara earlier in the month.
Woods added: "From analysing the success of past H&M collaborations it is clear that those which delivered the greatest level of exclusivity were amongst the most successful.
"Although there were other factors at play the first collaboration with Karl Lagerfeld was one of the most exclusive in terms of both range and distribution and was hugely successful as a result. Conversely, the comparative failure of the Marimekko and second phase of the Matthew Williamson collaborations can be in part attributed to their lack of exclusivity."
H&M online first launched in Sweden in 1998, followed by dedicated stores in Norway, Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Austria and Germany.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
UK department store chain John Lewis has reported higher full-year profits, attributed to value, multi-channel growth and new formats. ...
US fashion retailer Stein Mart has reported significantly higher fourth quarter profits, after streamlining costs. ...
Cotton yarn maker Parkdale America LLC faces a fine of $62,337 after being accused of 16 safety and health violations following the death of a worker in September 2010....
Knitted fabric maker Qian Feng Fabric Tech Ltd has been awarded a master license to produce and distribute Goodyear branded clothing and accessories in China and Singapore....
On-demand software that can manage compliance across product lifecycles is the latest addition from TEXbase Inc and can be used by brands and retailers to help increase efficiency and reduce risk....
UK clothing retailer Marks and Spencer (M&S) has poached Sara Bradley, a former Sainsbury's clothing director, just as she was on the verge of moving to a post at rival supermarket Asda's George cloth...
Fashion basics and thermal underwear maker Intradeco Apparel is to buy Ivory International, a manufacturer of ladies, men's and children's apparel....
Taking a look at the week ahead for the footwear and apparel industry, here is a snapshot of just-style's latest news and insights agenda. ...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack