SWEDEN: H&M recognised for ramping up its eco-credentials
Continuing to dispel the notion that its fast fashion model is out of kilter with the apparel industry's increasing focus on sustainability issues, retailer H&M is ramping up its eco-credentials.
The company's latest Conscious and Conscious Exclusive collections add new materials to a line-up that already includes organic cotton and hemp and recycled polyester.
For the first time, H&M will be using organic leather from Swedish leather supplier Tärnsjö, which comes from cows bred for organic meat production, and organic silk cultivated in organic mulberry trees.
The materials will appear in the limited-edition Conscious Exclusive collection, which will be available in 150 selected H&M stores worldwide as well as online. The collection is made in collaboration with the sustainable fashion and design think-tank Ever Manifesto.
The moves build on H&M's existing pledges to buy 100% of its cotton from more sustainable sources and phase out toxic chemicals from its supply chain by 2020. It is also working to close the loop in its clothing, and recently launched a denim collection made from 20% recycled cotton from its Garment Collecting Initiative.
While it's something of a paradox about the fashion industry that it keeps consumer interest by feeding through fresh merchandise - which is in complete contradiction to sustainability - H&M's efforts have also seen it recognised for the fourth time as one of the world's most ethical companies.
Scores are generated in five key categories: ethics and compliance programme (25%), reputation, leadership and innovation (20%), governance (10%), corporate citizenship and responsibility (25%) and culture of ethics (20%).
The Gap, Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
The Gap, Inc. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and...
The Gap Inc has demonstrated that it understands the direction of the apparel market, and is using its digital platforms in conjunction with its physical stores to drive growth. The company has benefi...
US women's apparel group Ann Inc has booked a drop in third-quarter earnings as a result of softer traffic levels and a highly promotional retail environment....
Canadean's "The Gap, Inc. : Retail - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Colombia - ISA Country Report