SWEDEN: H&M sees fourth month of comparable sales declines
Cold weather has weighed on fashion sales in many European markets during January, with retailer H&M Hennes and Mauritz no exception.
Very cold weather in many of the retailer's European markets in the second half of the month would have impacted footfall and demand for spring fashions," according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch analyst Richard Chamberlain.
The comments came as H&M recorded its fourth consecutive month of comparable store sales declines, down 4% during January. Overall sales increased 5% over the month.
"To us the apparel industry often seems too optimistic in relying on mild weather in Jan/Feb to drive sales," said Chamberlain.
"But more important is to look at H&M's relative performance. This has been quite choppy in recent months and in January appears to have performed broadly in line with an average of its major markets: -6% in Germany, +7% in the US, -3% in France, flat in Sweden and slightly down in the UK.
"This suggests that H&M's recent investments in its offer have not yet translated to sustained like-for-like sales out-performance which may be a function of its size and maturity in European markets and may necessitate further investments in its offer in future."
More than 220 companies have now signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety in Bangladesh following the collapse of the Rana Plaza factory building in Dhaka, which killed more than 1,100 people in ...
US clothing company Fifth & Pacific has admitted its second quarter results were weaker than expected as sales growth slipped at its denim label Lucky Brand....
Fifth & Pacific Companies remains "on track" to hit its fiscal 2013 targets despite recording another large loss in the second quarter of the year, according to its CEO....
UK retailer Marks and Spencer is to close four stores in the Republic of Ireland, resulting in 180 job losses. ...
Declines in clothing sales at Marks and Spencer allegedly slowed during July. ...
Speakers from Marks & Spencer and Asos have been lined up for a forthcoming consumer-focused conference in the UK....
UK online clothing retailer Asos has appointed former Marks & Spencer executive Ian Dyson as a senior independent and non-executive director....
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis