UK: Hosiery Designers Draw On Colour And Yarn Technology
Sleek, sexy "soft touch" stockings and tights ideally suited for wear with ultra feminine high heeled shoes? Or a return to kiddy style ankle socks? The UK hosiery trade is deeply divided about which styles will sell best to fashion-conscious females in the winter of 2000/2001. Whichever way the market swings, however, manufacturers are agreed on two points ― the increased use of colours that co-ordinate with those of apparel, and the employment of the latest yarn technology for higher performance. In the case of sheer hosiery the move is to microfibres with particular emphasis on duo yarns which knit up to produce melange effects, or which can be used to create geometric patterns without loss of translucence. Patterns that contrast high lustre with matt surfaces as well as variations on animal skin designs, particularly python and ocelot, are also expected to score at the high fashion end of the branded hosiery market. These types of pattern will also make their mark in the "new generation" of socks for adults, while obviously employing heavier weight, coarser gauge yarns. And taking their inspiration from the specialist sports sock sector, many of the latest ranges of fashion socks will feature layered constructions. These will use fibres like DuPont's Tactel aquator on the inside of the sock and wool on the outside to allow for moisture transportation, keeping well wrapped feet smelling sweet and feeling comfortable.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022