UK: Hosiery Designers Draw On Colour And Yarn Technology
Sleek, sexy "soft touch" stockings and tights ideally suited for wear with ultra feminine high heeled shoes? Or a return to kiddy style ankle socks? The UK hosiery trade is deeply divided about which styles will sell best to fashion-conscious females in the winter of 2000/2001. Whichever way the market swings, however, manufacturers are agreed on two points ― the increased use of colours that co-ordinate with those of apparel, and the employment of the latest yarn technology for higher performance. In the case of sheer hosiery the move is to microfibres with particular emphasis on duo yarns which knit up to produce melange effects, or which can be used to create geometric patterns without loss of translucence. Patterns that contrast high lustre with matt surfaces as well as variations on animal skin designs, particularly python and ocelot, are also expected to score at the high fashion end of the branded hosiery market. These types of pattern will also make their mark in the "new generation" of socks for adults, while obviously employing heavier weight, coarser gauge yarns. And taking their inspiration from the specialist sports sock sector, many of the latest ranges of fashion socks will feature layered constructions. These will use fibres like DuPont's Tactel aquator on the inside of the sock and wool on the outside to allow for moisture transportation, keeping well wrapped feet smelling sweet and feeling comfortable.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts