US: Hot Topic Q3 profit up on sales rise
- Q3 profit up 38% to $4.3m
- Sales rose 2% to $179.4m
- Comparable sales edged up 0.2%
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has booked a 38% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of higher sales of new fashion-forward merchandise.
The company, which operates 810 Hot Topic and Torrid stores, also said its new vertical sourcing model "significantly improved" gross margin rate.
"We validated the new merchandising and sourcing strategies at Torrid this quarter, and continue to be enthusiastic about Torrid as a growth vehicle for the company," said CEO and chairman Lisa Harper.
"Customers reacted positively to the new fashion-forward assortment and brand marketing introduced in late July. At Hot Topic, we continue to see improvement in the fashion apparel and tee businesses, which offset the challenges in the accessory categories."
During the three months to 27 October, net income reached US$4.3m or $0.10 per share, compared to $3.1m or $0.07 per share last year. Income from operations jumped 62.4% to $6.9m.
The California-based retailer said sales climbed 2% to $179.4m, while comparable sales edged up 0.2%.
Hot Topic also unveiled its new lingerie retail concept in five mall-based stores and online yesterday (14 November). The range, which has been developed under the Blackheart banner for women between 18 and 30, will include bras, corsets, hosiery, sleepwear, accessories and beauty products.
Faced with a raft of challenges across the apparel supply chain, how can software help tackle the key issues? Tools that connect all trading partners, streamline the end-to-end process, and give indus...
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has reported a 34.4% increase in its fourth-quarter profit, driven by higher sales....
US teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has announced the appointment of two executives - Don Hendricks as chief operating officer and George Wehlitz as chief financial officer....
- What the EU-Vietnam trade deal means for duties
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- US apparel import growth led by Bangladesh
- Esquel backs Chinese Sea Island cotton production
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Sears looks to lift apparel via sourcing changes
- Eco-friendly garment factory opens in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- Clothing and sports chains in activewear battle
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- Practical Price Negotiation