US: Hot Topic Q3 profit up on sales rise
- Q3 profit up 38% to $4.3m
- Sales rose 2% to $179.4m
- Comparable sales edged up 0.2%
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has booked a 38% rise in third-quarter net profit on the back of higher sales of new fashion-forward merchandise.
The company, which operates 810 Hot Topic and Torrid stores, also said its new vertical sourcing model "significantly improved" gross margin rate.
"We validated the new merchandising and sourcing strategies at Torrid this quarter, and continue to be enthusiastic about Torrid as a growth vehicle for the company," said CEO and chairman Lisa Harper.
"Customers reacted positively to the new fashion-forward assortment and brand marketing introduced in late July. At Hot Topic, we continue to see improvement in the fashion apparel and tee businesses, which offset the challenges in the accessory categories."
During the three months to 27 October, net income reached US$4.3m or $0.10 per share, compared to $3.1m or $0.07 per share last year. Income from operations jumped 62.4% to $6.9m.
The California-based retailer said sales climbed 2% to $179.4m, while comparable sales edged up 0.2%.
Hot Topic also unveiled its new lingerie retail concept in five mall-based stores and online yesterday (14 November). The range, which has been developed under the Blackheart banner for women between 18 and 30, will include bras, corsets, hosiery, sleepwear, accessories and beauty products.
Faced with a raft of challenges across the apparel supply chain, how can software help tackle the key issues? Tools that connect all trading partners, streamline the end-to-end process, and give indus...
Teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has reported a 34.4% increase in its fourth-quarter profit, driven by higher sales....
US teen apparel retailer Hot Topic has announced the appointment of two executives - Don Hendricks as chief operating officer and George Wehlitz as chief financial officer....
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Kohl's reverses five-quarter slump in Q4
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead