JAPAN: Hot weather boosts Uniqlo sales in August
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo today (4 September) booked a 2% rise in August same-store sales after hot weather boosted demand for summer clothing.
Sales at Uniqlo's Japanese stores increased 5.4%, while total sales, including online, were up 5.7%.
The company said same-store sales rose year-on-year as persistent hot weather "kept sales of summer garments firm" in August.
The retailer closed two stores during the month.
Last month, Uniqlo launched its latest tennis apparel collection in the US, which will be modelled by tennis player and brand ambassador Novak Djokovic. The range is expected to expand into other markets at a later date.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
Casual clothing brand Uniqlo has posted a 5.5% decline in Japanese same-store sales during January....
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015