JAPAN: Hot weather boosts Uniqlo sales in August
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo today (4 September) booked a 2% rise in August same-store sales after hot weather boosted demand for summer clothing.
Sales at Uniqlo's Japanese stores increased 5.4%, while total sales, including online, were up 5.7%.
The company said same-store sales rose year-on-year as persistent hot weather "kept sales of summer garments firm" in August.
The retailer closed two stores during the month.
Last month, Uniqlo launched its latest tennis apparel collection in the US, which will be modelled by tennis player and brand ambassador Novak Djokovic. The range is expected to expand into other markets at a later date.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
Casual clothing brand Uniqlo has posted a 5.5% decline in Japanese same-store sales during January....
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can technology shape a sustainable fashion future?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Talks progressing on Myanmar minimum wage
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- Hugo Boss in talks over supplier labour claims
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015