JAPAN: Hot weather boosts Uniqlo sales in August
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo today (4 September) booked a 2% rise in August same-store sales after hot weather boosted demand for summer clothing.
Sales at Uniqlo's Japanese stores increased 5.4%, while total sales, including online, were up 5.7%.
The company said same-store sales rose year-on-year as persistent hot weather "kept sales of summer garments firm" in August.
The retailer closed two stores during the month.
Last month, Uniqlo launched its latest tennis apparel collection in the US, which will be modelled by tennis player and brand ambassador Novak Djokovic. The range is expected to expand into other markets at a later date.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
Casual clothing brand Uniqlo has posted a 5.5% decline in Japanese same-store sales during January....
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- Philippines garment sector upbeat over EU GSP+
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Tommy Hilfiger digital showroom to reduce samples
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Fashion brands facing strong dollar “headwind”
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead