JAPAN: Hot weather boosts Uniqlo sales in August
Japanese casual clothing retailer Uniqlo today (4 September) booked a 2% rise in August same-store sales after hot weather boosted demand for summer clothing.
Sales at Uniqlo's Japanese stores increased 5.4%, while total sales, including online, were up 5.7%.
The company said same-store sales rose year-on-year as persistent hot weather "kept sales of summer garments firm" in August.
The retailer closed two stores during the month.
Last month, Uniqlo launched its latest tennis apparel collection in the US, which will be modelled by tennis player and brand ambassador Novak Djokovic. The range is expected to expand into other markets at a later date.
Generally, 2013 is seen as being another challenging year for the apparel industry - although there is cautious optimism for an improved business environment. Issues such as compliance, sustainability...
Opportunities the apparel industry should focus on this year include developing strategic relationships to improve flexibility across the supply chain; a focus on adding value through design, innovati...
What should apparel firms have learnt from the upheaval of the past couple of years - and what should they be doing now if they want to remain competitive into the future? They need to remain nimble e...
Uncertainty is perhaps the biggest challenge facing the apparel industry in 2013. The economic situation in Europe and the US, a combination of rising production costs and flat prices, the pressure to...
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc has remained coy on reports Japanese retail giant Fast Retailing has expressed interest in buying the company....
Casual clothing brand Uniqlo has posted a 5.5% decline in Japanese same-store sales during January....
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- PSF 2014: Ten sustainability takeaways
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy