UK: House of Fraser posts record Christmas sales
UK department store operator House of Fraser today (7 January) reported record sales over the Christmas period, with like-for-like sales rising 6.3%.
Sales increased across all of the group's categories during the six weeks to 5 January, with a strong performance in fashion and beauty. House brands were up 10%.
The retailer posted "record breaking" online sales, jumping 48%. It also saw record sales in the fortnight prior to Christmas.
For the first ten weeks of the fourth quarter, like-for-like sales, excluding VAT, were up 5.2%.
Company chairman Don McCarthy said: "The positive sales trends experienced in our third quarter have continued throughout the festive period and we are pleased to report another record performance despite a more competitive environment."
The performance demonstrates the steps House of Fraser has taken to improve its online offer, develop house brands and invest in stores, McCarthy emphasised.
"There is no doubt that 2012 was a challenging year in retail and it remains difficult to predict when economic conditions and consumer sentiment will improve.
"However, with the strong sales performance in the period and a close focus on margins and operational efficiencies, we expect to report growth in full year earnings in line with previous indications.
"Given the sales performance, we also expect to finish the year with a cleaner stock position and are well placed to deliver further growth in 2013."
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- M&S to launch supply chain human rights policy
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- US retail landscape "mediocre" over next 5 years
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015