UK: House of Fraser tight-lipped on takeover talks
House of Fraser has refused to be drawn on reports Chinese conglomerate Sanpower Group has placed a surprise bid for the UK department store retailer.
According to a report in The Times newspaper, the offer values House of Fraser at more than GBP450m (US$749.2m). The report added that the two companies have been in secret talks for several months.
Sanpower's offer is understood to have been accepted by House of Fraser chairman Don McCarthy, and has been presented to the retailer's other investors for approval.
But a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the matter when contacted by just-style this morning (31 March).
The report comes two months after House of Fraser was rumoured to have hired advisers ahead of a potential initial public offering (IPO).
House of Fraser, which operates 61 stores, hailed its "best ever" Christmas trading period earlier this year, after it was boosted by strong fashion and online sales.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
What key strengths and strategies are helping retailers to take the lead? Building fully integrated and flexible supply chains, with an end-to-end focus on ethics and responsibility will help to separ...
One of the biggest challenges - and opportunities - facing the apparel industry in 2015 is how best to embrace the omni-channel retail model, improve the shopping experience, and respond with new supp...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar