UK: House of Fraser tight-lipped on takeover talks
House of Fraser has refused to be drawn on reports Chinese conglomerate Sanpower Group has placed a surprise bid for the UK department store retailer.
According to a report in The Times newspaper, the offer values House of Fraser at more than GBP450m (US$749.2m). The report added that the two companies have been in secret talks for several months.
Sanpower's offer is understood to have been accepted by House of Fraser chairman Don McCarthy, and has been presented to the retailer's other investors for approval.
But a spokesperson for House of Fraser declined to comment on the matter when contacted by just-style this morning (31 March).
The report comes two months after House of Fraser was rumoured to have hired advisers ahead of a potential initial public offering (IPO).
House of Fraser, which operates 61 stores, hailed its "best ever" Christmas trading period earlier this year, after it was boosted by strong fashion and online sales.
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
Textile and consumer product testing laboratory High Street Textile Testing Services (HSTTS) has been acquired by Modern Testing Services (MTS) in a move that helps expand its global reach....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the home textile industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate soci...
The UK’s department stores are investing in the modernisation of their outlets with the aim of making them more attractive to consumers and incorporate aspects of multichannel retailing more effective...
The UK retailing industry registered positive growth in 2013 despite the fact that the economic climate in the country remained challenging as consumer spending habits remained under the influence of ...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Outdoor industry's future must be more inclusive
- Factoring: a lifeline for apparel suppliers?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Coats to open new zip factory in Bangladesh
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam