SOUTH KOREA: Housewives boost miniskirt boom
South Korea is going through something of a miniskirt boom at the moment, but surprisingly the traditional big buyers of miniskirts have been bumped by 40-something housewives according to one major Seoul department store.
Lotte Department Store said recently that an analysis of the mall's miniskirt sales from 2005 to 2007 shows that the majority of consumers (32.7%) were in their 40s, beating the 20- somethings who took up 21.4% of the January to June sales.
Shoppers in their 30s are the third biggest miniskirt shoppers at 30.5%. However, their purchase record over the past three years has declined. Benetton and ABFZ are the top picks among frequent buyers according to the store.
Curiously the country has just revised an indecency law that prohibited people from wearing revealing outfits including miniskirts, though the law introduced in the authoritarian 70s was rarely enacted.
By Michael Fitzpatrick.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Italian fashion giant Benetton is set to open 40 new stores in Spain this year as part of the company's international expansion programme, according to local press reports....
Italian fashion chain Benetton expects its 2007 full-year earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) to grow more than 20%....
Hong Kong based Hembly International Holdings, which is currently in the process of buying the Italian Sergio Tacchini sportswear brand, is close to completing the deal....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective