UK: HQ jobs to go in Asda restructuring
The company declined to detail the number of jobs impacted, although some reports have suggested in the region of 200 head office positions could be eliminated. No shop floor positions are impacted, a spokesperson for the company said.
The spokesperson added that the move followed a review of the business prompted by a "structural change taking place in the market".
"This led us to set a new strategy in 2013 which will see Asda redefine value retailing in the UK. Consequently, we have been talking to our colleagues for some time about the need for change.
"In the spirit of openness, we've let our colleagues know that we will be having some more detailed discussions with them this week about a new structure."
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity unde...
UK supermarket brand George at Asda is on a journey to a more sustainable supply chain through its Responsible Retail programme. Lynne Tooms, senior director of quality and sourcing, explains why reta...
Food and drink internet retailing posted outstanding growth in 2012 and 2013. Working females in urban centres with a busy lifestyle find it convenient and time saving to purchase groceries online. It...
In order to offset weak growth in North America and Western Europe, multinational apparel chains have been flocking to Mexico since 2012. Inditex, Industria de Diseño Textil SA, the world’s second lar...
In 2013, mixed retailers registered current value sales growth of 9%, with department stores remaining the key format. The economic slowdown in China negatively impacted mixed retailers. Compared to m...
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024