UK: HSC Chair Challenges Industry To Meet Safety Targets
Bill Callaghan, chairman of the Health and Safety Commission, today challenged the footwear and knitting industries to develop health and safety improvement targets for their own sectors. Speaking to a combined conference for the two industries in Leicester, he said: "The footwear and knitting trades have suffered heavy job losses recently, and I very much understand that the priority is to ensure a competitive industry. But let there be no mistake, health and safety is a competitiveness issue - a healthy workforce is a productive workforce. The British economy loses £18bn a year through health and safety failures, while the cost in terms of human suffering is impossible to measure."My challenge to the knitwear and footwear industries is for employers, workers and unions to work together to ensure higher standards of health and safety in the workplace. This applies to every firm within a sector - small and large - and for the sector as a whole. I am encouraged to see that many firms take their responsibilities seriously - and there is a role for larger companies to act as good neighbours in order to spread good practice to the many smaller ones within the trade."I would like to see the sector achieve lasting improvements by developing its own targets and contribute to national targets for cutting ill-health and injuries at work."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar