GERMANY: Hugo Boss confirms FY forecast as Q3 slips
- Core Q3 earnings down 7% to EUR165m
- Sales were flat at EUR646m
- Confirms outlook for 2012
German fashion house Hugo Boss today (30 October) said it is confident of meeting its full-year targets, despite booking flat sales and a fall in earnings in its third-quarter.
The company blamed a change in the number of collections it produces for shifting wholesale sales from the third to the fourth quarter.
"This had an adverse impact on our traditionally strong earnings in the third quarter," said CEO Claus-Dietrich Lahrs.
"We shall, however, return to double-digit growth in sales and earnings in the fourth quarter with our winter business."
The group said core earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, amortisation (EBITDA) and special items dropped 7% to EUR165m (US$213.8m), from EUR177m a year ago, as it took a hit from higher costs of retail expansion and marketing.
Sales were flat on a currency-adjusted basis in the third quarter at EUR646m, with a 4% drop in Europe. The US drove growth in the Americas with a gain of 13%, while sales in China rose 5%.
Wholesale sales were down 9% year-on-year in local currencies, and the group's own retail business saw gains of 15% after adjustment for currency effects. On a comparable store basis, the increase amounted to 2%.
Higher retail sales also helped lift gross profit margin by 130 basis points to 60.1%.
Hugo Boss said it expects currency-adjusted sales to grow by up to 10% in the full year, led by double-digit gains in its own retail business.
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
German fashion house Hugo Boss has set out an upbeat forecast for further growth in 2013, with gains in all geographic regions and at its own retail stores....
German fashion brand Hugo Boss has seen fourth quarter profit jump 30% on rising sales and tight cost controls....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details