UK: Iceland’s Baugur Buys Karen Millen, Whistles For £120m
Icelandic retail group Baugur has extended its presence on the UK high street with the acquisition of fashion chains Karen Millen and Whistles for £120 million.
Under the deal, Baugur-owned fashion group Oasis will take control of Karen Millen, which operates around 100 stores in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and the US.
Karen Millen shareholders will take a 25 per cent stake in privately-run Oasis as part of deal.
Karen Millen co-founder, Kevin Stanford, will step down from his role as chief executive.
Baugur also owns the Hamleys toy store and jewellery chain Goldsmiths, as well as owning shares in grocery company the Big Food Group, House of Fraser department stores and supermarket chain Somerfield.
Companies: House of Fraser
The UK middle market in clothing could soon cease to exist according to new research. The traditional mass market is being squeezed by value-led retailers on the one hand and smaller fashion multiples...
Department store chain House of Fraser has enjoyed a 34.2% net sales rise for the 6-week period ended 7 January, driven by the acquisitions of Jenners and Beatties and new store openings....
Struggling fashion chain French connection is at the centre of takeover speculation after Icelandic investor Baugur upped its stake in the business....
Icelandic retailer Baugur has increased its stake in fashion chain French Connection, which yesterday reported a 68 per cent slump in first-half pretax profit....
Icelandic retail investor Baugur is set to buy ladies' fashion retailer Jane Norman for more than GBP100 million in a deal backed by Icelandic bank Kaupthing....
Iceland-based investment group Baugur is not currently planning to launch a bid for value retail giant Matalan, according to a source close to the company....
Shares bought in retail group Arcadia by Jon Asgeir Johannesson, chief executive of Icelandic retailer Baugur, are being probed in a fraud case started by Icelandic police....
Department store operator Debenhams is planning to grow its business into India, and is also considering expanding into the Chinese market....
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack