US: Iconix buys Ed Hardy for US$62m
Consumer brand company Iconix Brand Group has taken a majority stake in the Ed Hardy tattoo brand for a total of $62m, including a fee of $55m plus an earn-out sum of $7m.
The acquisition from Nervous Tattoo takes Iconix’ stake from a small minority to 85% of the brand, including the worldwide master licence which encompasses the licensing and marketing functions.
The company, which had an existing joint venture with Don Ed Hardy, estimates that the brand will generate annual royalty revenue of about $15-16m.
Neil Cole, Iconix chairman and CEO, said of the deal: “We are excited to be able to utilise our marketing and licensing expertise to reenergize the Ed Hardy brand.
“The brand has an extremely high level of consumer awareness in the United States as well as very strong international business, and we believe our company will be able to add real value.”
Nervous Tattoo, which will continue as a licensee for Ed Hardy t-shirts, hoodies and hats, will pre-pay $7m in royalties under its licensing agreement.
Rocawear, the $800m US Street brand formed by rapper Jay Z, is the first label being relaunched by the European licensing unit set up by Iconix Brands to spearhead its expansion into the continent....
Iconix Brand Group Inc, which licenses fashion and footwear labels like Candie's, Bongo, London Fog and Joe Boxer, has booked a 69% jump in second quarter profit, and says it is taking full ownership ...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details