CAMBODIA: ILO "disturbed" by crackdown on protesting workers
The International Labour Organization (ILO) has joined calls for an end to continuing violence in Cambodia, saying it is "deeply disturbed" by reports of another crackdown on protesting workers.
At least eight people were injured at a rally on Sunday (26 January), which was organised by nine unions and associations calling for the release of 23 workers arrested during strike action earlier this month.
Their detention was linked to industrial unrest over disputed minimum wage increases and claims of harassment and violence against defenders of human rights.
The ILO said it urges all parties to "refrain from further violence, and to take all steps necessary for the release of the trade union leaders and workers detained for having participated in the strike over the minimum wage."
The body also reiterated its earlier call for the Government to launch an independent inquiry to determine the circumstances of police action and the deaths, assaults and arrests of workers during strike action earlier this month.
"The inquiry should determine responsibilities and punish those responsible where appropriate, as well as outline the steps to prevent the repetition of such acts," it said.
Four demonstrators were killed in clashes between armed police and protestors in early January after garment workers went on strike as part of the minimum wage dispute.
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Li & Fung capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report