UK: Improved UK trading helped by clothing, shoe sales
UK retail sales edged up 2.5% on a like-for-like basis last month, according to the latest report by the British Retail Consortium (BRC).
The increase was slightly less than the 2.6% increase recorded in December 2005, which had been the strongest growth of the year, and beat November's 0.5% increase.
Total sales were up 4.4% in December, beating November's 2.5% increase.
Both clothing and shoe sales have improved, reported BRC, thanks to some long-awaited colder weather in the days before Christmas. Sales of textiles were also better than previously.
Fashion retailers have generally been struggling to clear stock, blaming factors such as the unseasonably mild weather and a challenging market environment.
Despite gloomy predictions, UK retail sales growth in the fourth quarter of 2006 was consistently ahead of 2005. However, for many retailers growth has come at the expense of margin and, with 2007 set...
Being green and ethical across the clothing supply chain is no longer an option but a commercial and environmental necessity. But just as important to the success of a sustainable clothing future is m...
The clothing market in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is experiencing stellar growth on the back of rising consumer spending, a surge in tourists, and 145% growth in retail space as new malls and shop...
The Italians are Europe's biggest spenders on clothes, at an average of GBP602 each last year, according to a new report out today (6 July)....
Busy pocket-packed commuters will be pleased to hear about a new product that makes dropping your nano or getting tied up in your earphones less likely....
Tailored clothing retailer TM Lewin has appointed Simon Greene, the former retail director of Arcadia Group's Burton men's wear chain, as its new group retail director....
UK retailer Marks & Spencer has launched a range of suits especially designed for use with an iPod....
Sri Lankan garment maker The Hirdaramani Group plans to build a green factory this year and invest in a project to make all of its existing factories more environmentally friendly, just-style has lear...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report