BANGLADESH: Inditex backs new garment testing laboratory
The move means apparel exporters will no longer have to collect certificates from foreign companies.
Apparel exporters currently use foreign firms to test the garments. However, the laboratory will allow exporters to complete 22 chemical tests on apparel items for certification, according to the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA).
Operations are expected to start in January. BGMEA president Shafiul Islam said a "good portion" of the laboratory's earnings will be spent on the welfare of the workers.
Switzerland-based pre-shipment company SGS is providing technical support - and around US$1m has been invested into the laboratory so far.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Apparel sales in the Asia Pacific region are continuing on a golden growth trajectory despite a slowdown in China. Domestic brands are continuing to hold their own, and foreign brands intent on making...
Inditex has hit back at claims by an Argentinian worker rights group that it is producing garments under sweatshop conditions in the country. ...
The online and luxury segments are set to provide a silver lining in what is an otherwise gloomy outlook for Australia's fashion industry, according to research released by IbisWorld. ...
Inditex has expressed surprise over allegations that immigrants and children have been producing clothing for its Zara fashion brand in "degrading" sweatshop conditions....
Hong Kong-based fashion retailer Esprit has added three more former Inditex executives to its team to lead the company's new corporate strategy as well as develop and implement some of its major proje...
Fashion retail giant Inditex, owner of the Zara brand, recorded a 22% increase in net profit in fiscal 2012, boosted by a double-digit sales increase and nearly 500 new store openings....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Gap bullish on China growth opportunities
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Adidas files trademark suit against Forever 21
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019