PAKISTAN: Industry fears falling exports amid power crisis
The ongoing gas and electricity crisis in Pakistan has worsened as winter looms in the northern part of the country - with textile plants operating on gas now remaining closed for three-and-a-half days per week in Punjab province, while in Sindh province the industry will see a gas cut every Sunday.
In addition, electricity supply companies have also announced 4-6 hour daily power cuts for the textile industry due to annual maintenance work at the country's hydro-electric power stations.
Dr Asim Hussain, federal minister for petroleum and natural resources, said the Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) will get additional gas supplies from the Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) in the next three to four months. This will help reduce power cuts for industrial consumers in Karachi, he said.
However, Mohsin Aziz, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), points out that about 40% of textile capacity is idle due to gas shortages - translating into falling exports and job losses.
The government is being urged to draw up a plan to provide gas and electricity to industrial consumers in the peak seasons to meet global shipment deadlines and avoid cancellation of export orders.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report