PAKISTAN: Industry fears falling exports amid power crisis
The ongoing gas and electricity crisis in Pakistan has worsened as winter looms in the northern part of the country - with textile plants operating on gas now remaining closed for three-and-a-half days per week in Punjab province, while in Sindh province the industry will see a gas cut every Sunday.
In addition, electricity supply companies have also announced 4-6 hour daily power cuts for the textile industry due to annual maintenance work at the country's hydro-electric power stations.
Dr Asim Hussain, federal minister for petroleum and natural resources, said the Karachi Electric Supply Company (KESC) will get additional gas supplies from the Sui Southern Gas Company (SSGC) in the next three to four months. This will help reduce power cuts for industrial consumers in Karachi, he said.
However, Mohsin Aziz, chairman of the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), points out that about 40% of textile capacity is idle due to gas shortages - translating into falling exports and job losses.
The government is being urged to draw up a plan to provide gas and electricity to industrial consumers in the peak seasons to meet global shipment deadlines and avoid cancellation of export orders.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Carter's, Wolverine Worldwide
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape