BANGLADESH: Industry seeks support to back green production
The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) has asked international donors to offer money after a new aid report called for greener production in Bangladesh's clothing sector.
The study by the South Asia Enterprise Development Facility, a business initiative of the World Bank's International Finance Corporation (IFC), said the ready-made garment sector can save 125 billion litres of water annually by cleaning up its textile wet processing units. It could also save up to US$150m annually in production costs this way, it argued.
But BGMEA president Shafiul Islam Mohiuddin told just-style the industry needed international financial help to achieve this.
"The garment industry needs larger initial investments. This is where we need the donor support," he said, adding: "Bangladesh is a victim of climate change with much of its [lower lying] wetlands already polluted."
Bangladesh's garment industry needs nearly 80-100 litres of water to dye 1kg of yarn or fabric, and can reduce this to 25-30 litres with new technology, he noted.
Although some factories are trialling new technology aimed at cleaner production, the BGMEA said this is not happening across the board in the country's (roughly) 4,500 garment factories.
The report's details were confirmed to just-style by an IFC spokesperson based in Dhaka.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details