BANGLADESH: Industry seeks support to back green production
The Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) has asked international donors to offer money after a new aid report called for greener production in Bangladesh's clothing sector.
The study by the South Asia Enterprise Development Facility, a business initiative of the World Bank's International Finance Corporation (IFC), said the ready-made garment sector can save 125 billion litres of water annually by cleaning up its textile wet processing units. It could also save up to US$150m annually in production costs this way, it argued.
But BGMEA president Shafiul Islam Mohiuddin told just-style the industry needed international financial help to achieve this.
"The garment industry needs larger initial investments. This is where we need the donor support," he said, adding: "Bangladesh is a victim of climate change with much of its [lower lying] wetlands already polluted."
Bangladesh's garment industry needs nearly 80-100 litres of water to dye 1kg of yarn or fabric, and can reduce this to 25-30 litres with new technology, he noted.
Although some factories are trialling new technology aimed at cleaner production, the BGMEA said this is not happening across the board in the country's (roughly) 4,500 garment factories.
The report's details were confirmed to just-style by an IFC spokesperson based in Dhaka.
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Hanesbrands praises supply chain efficiency
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Wal-Mart US chief resignation little surprise
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- Macy’s increases sustainability efforts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges