US: Ingeo biopolymer earns Cradle to Cradle certification
NatureWorks' Ingeo branded biopolymer, which is made from renewable sources such as corn and is used in a range of end-uses including clothing and textile fibres, has gained silver sustainable certification from the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.
The Cradle to Cradle Certified programme assesses products for safety to human and environmental health, design for future use cycles and sustainable manufacturing processes.
Each product is evaluated in five categories, including material health, material reutilisation, renewable energy use, water stewardship and social responsibility.
NatureWorks worked with consulting firm McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry to collect data throughout the supply chain and assess these categories.
"NatureWorks participated in the Cradle to Cradle Certified Program process because we believe its holistic view of products is essential to understanding the true totality of sustainability," said Marc Verbruggen, president and CEO, NatureWorks.
Companies: NatureWorks LLC
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Research has found that the Ingeo biopolymer, which is used to make branded fibres from renewable sources such as corn, is essentially stable in landfills and releases no significant quantity of metha...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective