PAKISTAN: Inks pact with Indonesia to boost trade
Pakistan and Indonesia have signed a Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) that should boost trade and investment flows between the two countries and could ultimately lead to the creation of a Free Trade Area.
The agreement inked on Friday was one of the provisions outlined in a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) signed in 2005.
Under the PTA, Indonesia will provide preferential duty treatment to 216 Pakistani products, including silk fabrics, cotton yarn, cotton fabrics, ready-made garments, synthetic filament yarn, knitted shirts, cotton shawls, cotton tracksuits, leather garments and gloves.
Indonesian items of export interest to Pakistan under the Agreement comprise 287 tariff lines including textile and leather products.
Pakistan's exports to Indonesia rose by more than 90% to US$139m during the fiscal year to June 2011. Major export products were raw cotton, cotton cloth, raw leather, cotton yarn, synthetic fabrics, and ready-made garments.
Pakistan has already signed FTAs with Malaysia, Sri Lanka, and China, and a PTA with Iran. Talks are underway for FTAs with Bangladesh, UAE, the EU and the US.
The country has been striving to achieve its textile and clothing export target of US$25b by the year 2015.
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report