BANGLADESH: Inspection database adds to Tripartite commitments
The Bangladesh Government has unveiled a factory inspections website containing a database of nearly 3,500 readymade garment facilities, signalling a step towards fulfilling commitments made under the National Tripartite Action Plan.
The labour ministry launched the website - The Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments - at the weekend. The site contains a database of readymade garment sector factories, in line with the action plan for restoration of US generalised system of preference.
Under the action plan, the US suggested the Bangladesh Government create a publicly accessible database of all RMG factories as a platform for reporting labour, fire, and building inspections. It would also include information on the factories and locations, violations identified, fines and sanctions administered, factories closed or relocated and the names of the lead inspectors.
The aim of the site is to enhance visibility and ensure information dissemination about the activities and goals of the ‘Department of Inspection of Factories and Establishment'.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) said it provided key support in the preparation of the website and the factory database.
"Launching of the website of the Department of Inspection of Factories and Establishment' and the database of RMG Sector is a milestone in achieving the commitments of the National Tripartite Plan of Action," said Srinivas Reddy, country director, ILO Bangladesh. "This is only the beginning and I hope that gradually more information on RMG sector will be incorporated in the database."
It is understood the Government is to recruit a further 67 factory inspectors this week to fulfill the US precondition to restore duty-free access to a range of Bangladeshi goods under the GSP.
Click here to visit the site.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies