BANGLADESH: Inspection database adds to Tripartite commitments
The Bangladesh Government has unveiled a factory inspections website containing a database of nearly 3,500 readymade garment facilities, signalling a step towards fulfilling commitments made under the National Tripartite Action Plan.
The labour ministry launched the website - The Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments - at the weekend. The site contains a database of readymade garment sector factories, in line with the action plan for restoration of US generalised system of preference.
Under the action plan, the US suggested the Bangladesh Government create a publicly accessible database of all RMG factories as a platform for reporting labour, fire, and building inspections. It would also include information on the factories and locations, violations identified, fines and sanctions administered, factories closed or relocated and the names of the lead inspectors.
The aim of the site is to enhance visibility and ensure information dissemination about the activities and goals of the ‘Department of Inspection of Factories and Establishment'.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) said it provided key support in the preparation of the website and the factory database.
"Launching of the website of the Department of Inspection of Factories and Establishment' and the database of RMG Sector is a milestone in achieving the commitments of the National Tripartite Plan of Action," said Srinivas Reddy, country director, ILO Bangladesh. "This is only the beginning and I hope that gradually more information on RMG sector will be incorporated in the database."
It is understood the Government is to recruit a further 67 factory inspectors this week to fulfill the US precondition to restore duty-free access to a range of Bangladeshi goods under the GSP.
Click here to visit the site.
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Cutting-edge companies focus on consumer needs
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019