US: Intellectual property rights seizures up in 2013
The number and value of intellectual property rights seizures by US customs increased last year, with handbags and wallets topping the list, according to new data.
Customs and international trade law firm Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg revealed the number of IPR seizures were up by 7% to 24,361, while the value, in terms of the manufacturer's suggested retail price, jumped 38% to $1.74bn.
Handbags and wallets continued to be the most seized commodity by value, with China and Hong Kong accounting for nearly all of the value of IPR seizures. Those at express consignment and cargo facilities saw "sharp increases", the statistics showed.
Wearing apparel and accessories were in the top five categories of products seized by volume, up 26.8% to 9,894, but by value, the category was down 12.7% to $116.2m. For the first time since 2005, footwear was not one of the top five commodities seized by value.
CBP made seizures from 74 economies in 2013, but China and Hong Kong together accounted for 93% of the total MSRP value of seizures, up from 84% in 2012. China represented 68% at $1.18bn, up 30.3%, while Hong Kong soared 180% to $437.5m.
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Retailers voice concerns on Scottish independence
- India's labour law reforms edge a step closer
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Under Armour "resonating strongly" with consumers
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details