SRI LANKA: Intertek opens softlines testing lab
Intertek is to open an apparel and textiles testing laboratory in Bataramulla, Sri Lanka, to support the country's growing textile and garment industry.
The London Stock Exchange-listed company says it has established a full-service textile and apparel testing lab, centrally located to a number of global apparel buyers and manufacturers.
Intertek has equipped the softlines lab with the latest physical and analytical testing machines allowing it to offer almost the full range of physical and ecological tests requested by its customers, it said.
The company first established operations in Sri Lanka in 2000. Sri Lanka's textile and apparel industry now accounts for nearly half of the country's exports.
"Sri Lanka's significant textile testing market of more than US$5.5m, along with a growing demand and expectation from many global buyers and local textile community, make Sri Lanka an idea location for Intertek's latest softlines testing lab," the company said.
"Sri Lanka's apparel export industry is the most significant and dynamic contributor for Sri Lanka's economy.
"The industry has enjoyed epic growth levels over the past four decades and is today Sri Lanka's primary foreign exchange earner accounting to 40% of the total exports and 52% of industrial products exports."
- New wage ladder lifts workers towards living wages
- US retailers to face logistics issues into 2015
- African apparel sector needs cooperation to thrive
- UK fashion sector prospects depend on partnerships
- New scenarios driving sustainability in textiles
- Bangladesh worker dies as factory boiler ruptures
- Gap unveils management changes as Q3 profit rises
- Long-running SL Garment dispute settled
- Global unions join forces on apparel wage poverty
- Eight footwear factories lead on social compliance
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Moisture Management Fabrics: Key to Wearer Comfort
- Global Apparel Markets: Product Developments and Innovations, 2nd Quarter 2014