SRI LANKA: Intertek opens softlines testing lab
Intertek is to open an apparel and textiles testing laboratory in Bataramulla, Sri Lanka, to support the country's growing textile and garment industry.
The London Stock Exchange-listed company says it has established a full-service textile and apparel testing lab, centrally located to a number of global apparel buyers and manufacturers.
Intertek has equipped the softlines lab with the latest physical and analytical testing machines allowing it to offer almost the full range of physical and ecological tests requested by its customers, it said.
The company first established operations in Sri Lanka in 2000. Sri Lanka's textile and apparel industry now accounts for nearly half of the country's exports.
"Sri Lanka's significant textile testing market of more than US$5.5m, along with a growing demand and expectation from many global buyers and local textile community, make Sri Lanka an idea location for Intertek's latest softlines testing lab," the company said.
"Sri Lanka's apparel export industry is the most significant and dynamic contributor for Sri Lanka's economy.
"The industry has enjoyed epic growth levels over the past four decades and is today Sri Lanka's primary foreign exchange earner accounting to 40% of the total exports and 52% of industrial products exports."
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019