US: Investments weigh on Stein Mart Q1 earnings
- Q1 earnings drop to $14.1m
- Sales fall 2.3%
- Comparable sales up 2.6%
Off-price fashion retailer Stein Mart saw earnings tumble in its first-quarter as investments in new stores and e-commerce, and the timing of its annual advertising spend, hit profits.
In the three months ended 3 May, net income dropped to US$14.1m from $14.7m a year earlier. Adjusted to take account of investment costs, earnings edged up 0.7% to $14.7m.
Total sales for the quarter dropped 2.3% to $328.9m, while comparable store sales were up 2.6%.
CEO Jay Stein, said: "We are pleased with our operating performance thus far this year, which included a solid comp sales increase for the quarter once the weather improved. Our planned growth investments in new stores and e-commerce, as well as the timing of our annual advertising spend, caused our earnings to be below last year.
"We continue to be excited about our growth opportunities as we open more stores and continue to produce solid same store sales results."
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Source Summit 2014: Quote/unquote
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Under Armour "bullish" in full-year guidance rise
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Open markets key for US apparel workers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges