US: Investments weigh on Stein Mart Q1 earnings
- Q1 earnings drop to $14.1m
- Sales fall 2.3%
- Comparable sales up 2.6%
Off-price fashion retailer Stein Mart saw earnings tumble in its first-quarter as investments in new stores and e-commerce, and the timing of its annual advertising spend, hit profits.
In the three months ended 3 May, net income dropped to US$14.1m from $14.7m a year earlier. Adjusted to take account of investment costs, earnings edged up 0.7% to $14.7m.
Total sales for the quarter dropped 2.3% to $328.9m, while comparable store sales were up 2.6%.
CEO Jay Stein, said: "We are pleased with our operating performance thus far this year, which included a solid comp sales increase for the quarter once the weather improved. Our planned growth investments in new stores and e-commerce, as well as the timing of our annual advertising spend, caused our earnings to be below last year.
"We continue to be excited about our growth opportunities as we open more stores and continue to produce solid same store sales results."
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Marks & Spencer to extend mobile phone monitoring
- China tightens on corporate social responsibility
- Tesco's H1 profit plunge: What the analysts say
- Asos FY profit drop: What the analysts say
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- Cambodia clothing factory collapse injures eight
- Adidas "Reebok sale" would be admittance of defeat
- H&M and The North Face commit to responsible down
- Bangladesh taps factory inspectors ahead of review
- Collapsed Cambodia factory had structural issues
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Vietnam
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre