US: Investments weigh on Stein Mart Q1 earnings
- Q1 earnings drop to $14.1m
- Sales fall 2.3%
- Comparable sales up 2.6%
Off-price fashion retailer Stein Mart saw earnings tumble in its first-quarter as investments in new stores and e-commerce, and the timing of its annual advertising spend, hit profits.
In the three months ended 3 May, net income dropped to US$14.1m from $14.7m a year earlier. Adjusted to take account of investment costs, earnings edged up 0.7% to $14.7m.
Total sales for the quarter dropped 2.3% to $328.9m, while comparable store sales were up 2.6%.
CEO Jay Stein, said: "We are pleased with our operating performance thus far this year, which included a solid comp sales increase for the quarter once the weather improved. Our planned growth investments in new stores and e-commerce, as well as the timing of our annual advertising spend, caused our earnings to be below last year.
"We continue to be excited about our growth opportunities as we open more stores and continue to produce solid same store sales results."
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Women's and Girls' Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Women's and Girls' Dresses, Women's and Girls' Suits & Coats, Women's and G...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report