US: J Crew moves back to black in Q3
J Crew Group Inc flipped to a profit from a year-ago loss and increased its operating profit by more than half in the third quarter ended 28 October.
Net income available to common shareholders finished the three months at US$26m, or 40 cents a diluted share, versus a net loss of $336,000, or 1 cent a share, in the 2005 quarter.
Adjusted net income, which excludes numerous items included in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), was 27 cents a diluted share, 6 cents above the consensus estimate. Operating profit was up 51% to $33.2m.
The improved profitability was driven by a solid 23.4% increase in revenues, including both retail and direct channels, to $275.6m from $223.4m a year ago. Same-store sales increased 19% against a 3% comp increase in last year's quarter.
In a statement, Millard Drexler, chairman and chief executive officer, called the results "better than expected" and announced that the company was raising its guidance for the full year by 9 cents, to a diluted EPS range of 95 to 97 cents.
Net income for the nine months hit $27.7m, or 62 cents a diluted share, versus a loss of $435,000 in last year's comparable period. Revenues moved up 18.4%, to $785.4m from $663.3m while comparable-store sales progressed 16%.
The figures were released after the equity markets closed on Tuesday (21 November).
J Crew, which completed an initial public offering last June, operates 176 stores, 51 outlets, an e-commerce website and a catalogue business.
By Arnold J Karr.
Heather Reisman, chief executive officer of Indigo Books & Music, has been elected to the board of directors of J Crew Group, effective 15 May....
J Crew Group moved to a profit from a loss in the fourth quarter and projected earnings growth of at least 20% for the current year....
The former chief executive of Tommy Hilfiger and Lands' End is joining the board of directors of Chico's FAS....
Packaged foods to fashion conglomerate ITC Limited has become what is thought to be the first Indian apparel company to adopt enterprise Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software....
Jay Margolis, president of Limited Brands' Apparel Group, will take over management of the Express division on an interim basis following the departures of Paul Raffin and Meade Rudasill, who shared t...
Musician Biz Markie is to launch his first two clothing collections this year as he looks to follow in the footsteps of other music stars such as Sean John and 50 Cent....
Shares of Gap Inc soared 7.3% on heavy volume in New York Stock Exchange trading Monday (8 January) following a televised report that the giant apparel specialty retailer might be considering a sale....
Mary P Kwan has joined Goody's Family Clothing, the moderate family apparel chain, as president....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020