US: J Crew opens first Madewell store
Retailer J Crew has opened the first shop of its new lower-priced women's wear concept Madewell.
The shop opened in NorthPark, Dallas, yesterday (22 August). J Crew will open the second store in Century City, Los Angeles on 2 September and will announce a third location later on in the year.
Madewell, which was inspired by defunct workwear company Madewell, is an edgy casual range which the company said is "not too trendy; not too girly".
The collection includes T-shirts, jeans, fleeces, shirts and accessories and is aimed at twenty- and thirty-somethings.
"Madewell started as a fun, stimulating idea that has grown into an assortment of great clothes that look good now and will look good in five years," said group chairman and CEO Millard Drexler.
Madewell has signed exclusive partnerships with a group of designers including Philip Crangi, a New York City jewellery designer, and Havaianas, the Brazilian flip flop brand.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Anti-fur campaigners reacted angrily to a recent claim by the International Fur Trade Federation (IFTF) that fur sales were on the up, claiming it was another in a long line of lies spun to further th...
Although the anti-fur movement is strong in the West, in countries where weather is cold or extreme, fur garments are still prized. One of the most innovative natural fur tanneries, dyers, and manufac...
Jay Margolis, president of Limited Brands' Apparel Group, will take over management of the Express division on an interim basis following the departures of Paul Raffin and Meade Rudasill, who shared t...
Musician Biz Markie is to launch his first two clothing collections this year as he looks to follow in the footsteps of other music stars such as Sean John and 50 Cent....
Shares of Gap Inc soared 7.3% on heavy volume in New York Stock Exchange trading Monday (8 January) following a televised report that the giant apparel specialty retailer might be considering a sale....
Mary P Kwan has joined Goody's Family Clothing, the moderate family apparel chain, as president....
Wal-Mart Stores sneezed on Saturday, and by the end of the weekend the rest of the retail market had a cold....
J Crew Group Inc flipped to a profit from a year-ago loss and increased its operating profit by more than half in the third quarter ended 28 October....
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Adidas raises the bar for North America sales
- Finding value in fashion retail reverse logistics
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- US Q4 in brief – Destination XL Group, Caleres
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Target unveils "ambitious" store re-design plans
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective