US: J Crew silent over end to deal talks with Fast Retailing
Earlier this month, Fast Retailing was reported to have approached J Crew about potentially buying the private-equity-owned business, according to Reuters. J Crew was taken private by TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners in 2011 in a deal worth US$3bn.
However, merger discussions are understood to have broken down, reducing the prospects of a deal that would create a global retailing behemoth.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Fast Retailing, which owns the Uniqlo clothing chain, walked away from discussions soon after initial reports of a potential deal emerged last month. Sources told the publication the reason may have been linked to the talks being made public. Another suggestion is that a second bidder may have stepped in.
South Korean fashion conglomerate E.Land Group was said to be exploring a deal for J Crew.
Fast Retailing aims to become the world’s largest apparel company by 2020. The company has been very successful in Greater China, but continues to struggle in other markets and its US super premium de...
Apparel Retail in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also co...
Apparel Retail in Philippines industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile a...
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- How apparel retailers should react to Brexit
- Britain votes for Brexit – what happens next?
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Myanmar factories prepare for compliance training
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- ILO decent work in global supply chains criticised
- Alliance cuts ties with three more factories
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)