US: J Crew slashes earnings outlook
Apparel retailer J Crew Group Inc has slashed its fourth quarter and full year earnings outlook on worse than expected sales and margins over the holiday period.
The company now expects to post a quarterly loss of $0.24 to $0.29 per share, down from its earlier guidance for earnings of $0.05 to $0.10 per share. This compares to $0.39 per share in the same period of the prior year.
The figures are based on same-store sales in the negative mid teen range and direct sales in the negative mid-to-high single digit range.
For fiscal 2008, J Crew forecasts diluted earnings per share in the range of $0.77 to $0.82, down from earlier guidance of $1.11 to $1.16 and fiscal 2007 earnings per share of $1.52.
The company, which operates 227 retail stores and 74 factory outlet stores, blames "aggressive inventory actions taken to clear autumn and holiday inventory during the fourth quarter."
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
While many specialty retailers have recently been shedding concepts, Dress Barn seems to think there's something to be gained from adding struggling fashion chain Tween Brands to its portfolio. Leonie...
Eddie Bauer's bankruptcy filing this week was not unexpected; mounting debts and slumping sales in a difficult economic climate meant its future was simply untenable. But with a sale of the business a...
Aggressive sales and marketing activities helped cut-price apparel retailer Uniqlo to boost its same store sales in Japan by 6.4% in June, the company announced....
Athletic shoe and apparel retailer The Finish Line Inc on Thursday (25 June) posted a first quarter loss, largely due to a poor performance at the struggling Man Alive chain which it decided to exit e...
Women's wear chain Christopher & Banks Corporation has reported an 85.5% drop in first quarter profit after same-store sales dived by nearly a quarter....
Off-price women's apparel retailer Dress Barn Inc is acquiring teen fashion retailer Tween Brands Inc in a stock-swap deal worth around $157m, it emerged today (25 June)....
Second quarter profit at H&M has risen by 6.3%, the Swedish fashion retailer said today (25 June), thanks to higher sales as shoppers sought its low-price catwalk looks....
Athletic shoe and apparel retailer The Finish Line Inc is to exit its unprofitable Man Alive business and focus instead on its core operations - and said it expects to swing to a first quarter loss on...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report