GERMANY: Jack Wolfskin ups efforts to ban fluorine chemicals
German outdoor clothing company Jack Wolfskin has said it will ban perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOA) from its production processes by summer 2014.
The move, Jack Wolfskin says, comes after tests carried out in Germany on jackets, including some made by the retailer - as well as The North Face, Patagonia and Adidas - found the presence of hazardous chemicals, which can pose long-term risks to human health.
The research by environmental campaign group Greenpeace found all but one of the 17 items tested contained perfluorinated and polyfluorinated chemicals (PFCs).
Some PFCs are known to be highly persistent in the environment and can act as hormone disruptors, having adverse impacts on the reproductive system and the immune system.
In a statement released last month, Jack Wolfskin COO Christian Brandt said: "We were not surprised to learn that Greenpeace found PFCs in the jackets they tested, as both models were most likely produced in early 2013."
The retailer has also revealed that half of its apparel collection will already be PFC-free by winter 2014 - two years earlier than originally planned.
"We have distinguished ourselves as the first outdoor company with a concrete roadmap until 2020, outlining our plans to move away from fluorine chemicals, ban harmful substances from the supply chain and ensure transparent manufacture among our suppliers. And we are working purposefully towards this goal," Brandt said.
However, he warned: "As we have no control over the length of time our products are traded, there will still be products available during the interim period which contain PFOA."
"This aside, products are completely safe for our customers and fulfil the strict requirements stipulated in the comprehensive list of harmful chemicals (GreenBook).
"According to Greenpeace, the use of these chemicals is predominately a problem in the countries of production. We are in full agreement with them on this matter and are working hard to address this issue."
Apparel and textile companies must consider a variety of complex factors when looking to switch suppliers, especially to a new manufacturer. But software specifically geared towards the sector can hel...
Patagonia is a leading USA-based supplier of rugged technical apparel and accessories for a variety of outdoor pursuits, including mountain climbing, skiing, surfing and fishing. The company offers a ...
The growing interest in nature and outdoor activities coupled with an increased awareness of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle has raised the profile of the performance outdoor apparel...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the performance apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corpora...
Outdoor apparel company Patagonia is working to achieve seamless inventory across all channels and geographic regions with the support of a new merchandise and assortment planning tool....
Waterproof breathable fabrics -- which protect against rain, wind and snow while allowing perspiration vapour to escape -- are among the most technically advanced in the performance apparel market. An...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details