US: January retail sales edge up in “fragile” economy
Retail sales in the US edged up slightly in January, indicating a “stable yet fragile” economy, according to the National Retail Federation (NRF).
NRF figures suggested retail sales in January rose 0.3%, seasonally adjusted, on December and were up 5.4%, unadjusted, on last year.
Meanwhile, US Census Bureau figures (which include fuel and food services) suggested a seasonally adjusted 0.1% increase on December to US$416.6bn and a 4.4% gain on last January.
Clothing and clothing accessories stores were up 5.9% year-on-year, non-adjusted, to $15.1bn; seasonally adjusted, sales increased 4.4% to $20.3bn.
“Today’s retail sales figures continue to indicate a stable yet fragile economy,” NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay said.
“Consumers are continuing to hold back on spending just as our economy is held back by political brinkmanship in DC.
“The failure to address the critical challenges confronting our economy will continue to dampen consumer confidence, which will in turn mute sales and growth.
“The economy will continue to limp along until our politicians finally address our tax and spending challenges and put forward a pro-growth, pro-jobs agenda.”
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Fitness fashion propels Athleta towards $1bn sales
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- Bangladesh workers in constructive employer talks
- Weak traffic slows sales for Abercrombie & Fitch
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report