UK: January retail sales helped by pent-up demand
January sales were driven by a short but strong shopping burst
UK consumer spending continues to be undermined by economic worries, even though pent-up demand after December's snow, pre-VAT rise purchases and clearance bargains boosted UK retail sales in January, according to figures released today (8 February).
Like-for-like UK retail sales values were up 2.3% on last January, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said, with total sales 4.2% higher than a year ago.
However, while non-food sales rose at the start of the month, sales have since fallen back, hit by consumer caution.
Non-food non-store (internet, mail-order and phone) sales growth also fell back in January after picking up in November and December. Sales were 12.3% higher than a year ago.
"On the surface, this is the best sales growth since last March, but that's not the whole story," explained Stephen Robertson, BRC director general.
"Comparisons are with a feeble, snow-hit performance a year ago. Growth this January was driven by a relatively short but strong burst of non-food buying early in the month.
"Later in the month sales of non-food goods slowed, particularly for bigger items, as the reality of worries about jobs and personal finances returned to customers' minds."
Robertson warned: "Turning round consumer confidence is central to turning round the economy. A range of pressures is bearing down on customers. As it considers the Budget, the Government must not add any more."
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Who has signed up to the Greenpeace Detox Campaign
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey