UK: January retail sales helped by pent-up demand
January sales were driven by a short but strong shopping burst
UK consumer spending continues to be undermined by economic worries, even though pent-up demand after December's snow, pre-VAT rise purchases and clearance bargains boosted UK retail sales in January, according to figures released today (8 February).
Like-for-like UK retail sales values were up 2.3% on last January, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said, with total sales 4.2% higher than a year ago.
However, while non-food sales rose at the start of the month, sales have since fallen back, hit by consumer caution.
Non-food non-store (internet, mail-order and phone) sales growth also fell back in January after picking up in November and December. Sales were 12.3% higher than a year ago.
"On the surface, this is the best sales growth since last March, but that's not the whole story," explained Stephen Robertson, BRC director general.
"Comparisons are with a feeble, snow-hit performance a year ago. Growth this January was driven by a relatively short but strong burst of non-food buying early in the month.
"Later in the month sales of non-food goods slowed, particularly for bigger items, as the reality of worries about jobs and personal finances returned to customers' minds."
Robertson warned: "Turning round consumer confidence is central to turning round the economy. A range of pressures is bearing down on customers. As it considers the Budget, the Government must not add any more."
- Global supply chain trends at Sourcing at MAGIC
- Why voters don’t want more global supply chains
- Denim and athleisure top picks for back-to-school
- What's 3D-printing doing for apparel and footwear?
- Labelling – The importance of the fine print
- H&M takes action over Myanmar child labour breach
- Vietnam garment industry calls for strategy update
- Nike and Apollo create supply chain partnership
- US Q2 in brief - Express, The Buckle, Stein Mart
- Li & Fung joins FTA in sustainable sourcing pledge
- Too Many Standards
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Under Armour, Inc. (UA) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- THE GAP, INC.: Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis