UK: January retail sales helped by pent-up demand
January sales were driven by a short but strong shopping burst
UK consumer spending continues to be undermined by economic worries, even though pent-up demand after December's snow, pre-VAT rise purchases and clearance bargains boosted UK retail sales in January, according to figures released today (8 February).
Like-for-like UK retail sales values were up 2.3% on last January, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said, with total sales 4.2% higher than a year ago.
However, while non-food sales rose at the start of the month, sales have since fallen back, hit by consumer caution.
Non-food non-store (internet, mail-order and phone) sales growth also fell back in January after picking up in November and December. Sales were 12.3% higher than a year ago.
"On the surface, this is the best sales growth since last March, but that's not the whole story," explained Stephen Robertson, BRC director general.
"Comparisons are with a feeble, snow-hit performance a year ago. Growth this January was driven by a relatively short but strong burst of non-food buying early in the month.
"Later in the month sales of non-food goods slowed, particularly for bigger items, as the reality of worries about jobs and personal finances returned to customers' minds."
Robertson warned: "Turning round consumer confidence is central to turning round the economy. A range of pressures is bearing down on customers. As it considers the Budget, the Government must not add any more."
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024