UK: January retail sales rise strongest since 2010
Retail sales in the UK were up 5.4% in January, the strongest increase since March 2010, and rose 3.9% on a like-for-like basis.
According to the British Retail Consortium (BRC), the three-month average growth figure was 3.2%, broadly in line with the 12-month trend figure of 3%.
BRC senior analyst Anne Alexandre said “a lot of good deals” had driven footfall to clothing stores, with shoppers also buying into new ranges at full price.
“In general, there was a strong sales performance across the three segments, but that was also flattered by an easy comparative in 2013, when the snow had kept people indoors,” she added.
“There was good demand for blouses, nightwear and for women’s accessories rather than for heavy coats.”
Meanwhile, footwear sales were “very strong”, despite January being the wettest and mildest for over a century, with continuing good demand for boots as well as slippers.
“Customers responded enthusiastically to a range of sales and promotions on non-food items this January,” said BRC director general Helen Dickinson.
“Retailers succeeded in tempting shoppers in with promotions, they also saw strong demand across new ranges, helped by improvements in consumer confidence.”
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Echo Sourcing unveils new supply opportunities
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- TAL Group improves pre-production efficiency
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details