UK: January retail sales rise strongest since 2010
Retail sales in the UK were up 5.4% in January, the strongest increase since March 2010, and rose 3.9% on a like-for-like basis.
According to the British Retail Consortium (BRC), the three-month average growth figure was 3.2%, broadly in line with the 12-month trend figure of 3%.
BRC senior analyst Anne Alexandre said “a lot of good deals” had driven footfall to clothing stores, with shoppers also buying into new ranges at full price.
“In general, there was a strong sales performance across the three segments, but that was also flattered by an easy comparative in 2013, when the snow had kept people indoors,” she added.
“There was good demand for blouses, nightwear and for women’s accessories rather than for heavy coats.”
Meanwhile, footwear sales were “very strong”, despite January being the wettest and mildest for over a century, with continuing good demand for boots as well as slippers.
“Customers responded enthusiastically to a range of sales and promotions on non-food items this January,” said BRC director general Helen Dickinson.
“Retailers succeeded in tempting shoppers in with promotions, they also saw strong demand across new ranges, helped by improvements in consumer confidence.”
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- PSF 2014: Ten sustainability takeaways
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Jones CEO to depart as Sycamore splits business
- Workers strike at Adidas supplier shoe factory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Jeans in Italy
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects