UK: January retail sales rise strongest since 2010
Retail sales in the UK were up 5.4% in January, the strongest increase since March 2010, and rose 3.9% on a like-for-like basis.
According to the British Retail Consortium (BRC), the three-month average growth figure was 3.2%, broadly in line with the 12-month trend figure of 3%.
BRC senior analyst Anne Alexandre said “a lot of good deals” had driven footfall to clothing stores, with shoppers also buying into new ranges at full price.
“In general, there was a strong sales performance across the three segments, but that was also flattered by an easy comparative in 2013, when the snow had kept people indoors,” she added.
“There was good demand for blouses, nightwear and for women’s accessories rather than for heavy coats.”
Meanwhile, footwear sales were “very strong”, despite January being the wettest and mildest for over a century, with continuing good demand for boots as well as slippers.
“Customers responded enthusiastically to a range of sales and promotions on non-food items this January,” said BRC director general Helen Dickinson.
“Retailers succeeded in tempting shoppers in with promotions, they also saw strong demand across new ranges, helped by improvements in consumer confidence.”
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Who has signed up to the Greenpeace Detox Campaign
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Hong Kong's Li & Fung reports "solid" H1
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Accord and Alliance discord over inspections
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey